Every morning the Committee on Agenda and Calendar meets at 6:30 a.m. with the presiding bishops for the day, and the chairs of the legislative committees. Here are some notes from that meeting:
- Presiding Officers for the Day
Bishop Patrick Streiff
Bishop Minerva Carcano
Bishop Charlene Kammerer
- There will be a presentation from the Board of Pensions in the morning session.
- As of this morning there are 143 calendar items that were or are eligible for consideration by the body. So far the General Conference has dealt with 11.
- As of this morning, 35 calendar items have received the required 20 signatures to be pulled from the consent/not considered calendar.
- The Committee on Calendar and Agenda is assuming that restructuring issues will likely be considered on Wednesday, which is the soonest they can be considered without a suspension of the rules.
- Issues around divestiture and the United Methodist Church’s relationship with Israel/Palestine will be presented in a single block at a time to be determined.
- The issue of the ending of guaranteed clergy appointments received enough votes in committee to be placed on a consent calendar (a group of petitions passed en masse by the conference without debate). As of this morning no one had pulled this from the consent calendar.
- Issues thatmaybe considered today include:
- Changing the name of “lay speaker” to “lay servant.
- Issues on the timing and size of the General Conference
- Issues related to ministry in the Central Conferences
- Changes to the Preamble of the Social Principles
- Changes in the qualifications for ordination related to sexual practices
- Changes to the structure of United Methodist Wome
- The addition of language that specifically identifies the pastor as the primary determiner of eligibility for church membership.
- Changes to the responsibilities of the PPRC/SPRC
Like what you're reading? United Methodist Communications is celebrating 80 years of ministry! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.