A number of U.S. annual conferences are scheduling special sessions in 2023 to deal mainly with church disaffiliations. Most will be online.
The Book of Discipline’s Paragraph 2553 allows churches to leave The United Methodist Church with property if they meet certain financial and procedural requirements, including at least a two-thirds vote by the congregation and approval of the disaffiliation agreement by the congregation’s annual conference. The provision expires at the end of 2023.
Special sessions listed in alphabetical order by annual conference:
- Alabama-West Florida Conference special sessions on May 7 and Nov. 12, 2023.
- Holston Conference special session on April 22 at a location to be announced.
- Tennessee-Western Kentucky Conference special sessions on May 22 and Nov. 13, 2023.
- Virginia Conference special sessions on Feb. 18, May 6 and Oct. 7.
- Upper New York Conference special sessions on March 25 and Oct. 14.
This list will be updated as more sessions are announced.
Like what you're reading? Support the ministry of UM News! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.