Location of conference gathering: Murewa United Methodist Church Mission Center, Murewa, Zimbabwe.
Dates of conference gathering: Dec. 14-15, 2019
Officiating bishop: Bishop Eben K. Nhiwatiwa
Main actions enacted by the conference:
- Adoption of 2020 conference budget
- Creation of three new circuits
- Prayer for the smooth transition from one episcopal leader to the next
- Purchase of vehicles for rural pastors
Resolutions adopted by the conference:
- That St. Dorcas United Methodist Church be part of the Murewa Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That Howard United Methodist Church be part of the Murewa Center Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That King David United Methodist Church be part of the King David Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That Granary United Methodist Church be part of the Granary Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That Harare Inner City United Methodist Church be part of the Harare Inner City Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church be part of the Mt. Pleasant Circuit effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- That a trust be created to oversee the application, registration, procurement and operation of a United Methodist radio station.
- That the conference applies for a community radio license (community of interest).
- That the conference sets up the radio station effective January 2020.
- That the proposed budget for 2020 be adopted.
Number of people ordained, commissioned or received into associate membership: Eleven new elders were ordained.
Names of delegates for 2020 General Conference:
The Rev. Forbes Matonga
The Rev. Remember Masamba
How many delegates under 35 were elected?
Two delegates younger than 35 were elected.
Did your bishop address church unity?
Bishop Nhiwatiwa spoke about the tremendous growth and expansion of the church during his 16 years as episcopal leader.
Number of clergy retired: none
Membership stands at 67,872, up from the previous year.
Worship attendance stands at 33,686.
Church school attendance stands at 2,428.
Professions or reaffirmations of faith for 2018: 2,114, up from 2017.
Adults and young adults in small groups for 2018: 25,758, up from 2017.
Worshippers engaged in mission for 2018: 2,319, up from 2017.
What did your annual conference do to reinforce the Four Areas of Focus:
The conference continues to focus on the four focus areas in 2020 through all its boards and committees.
— Chenayi Kumuterera is a communicator with the Zimbabwe West Conference.
Like what you're reading? Support the ministry of UM News! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.