Every morning the Committee on Agenda and Calendar meets at 6:30 a.m. with the presiding bishops for the day, and the chairs of the legislative committees. Here are some notes from that meeting:
- Presiding Bishops
- Bishop Thomas Bickerton
- Bishop Michael Coyner
- Bishop Scott Jones
- Bishop James Swanson
- As of this morning, the General Conference has dealt with 24% of the calendar items eligible for floor debate and consideration (non consent items).
- The focus of the morning’s session will be the constitutional name change from lay speaker to lay servant. This will be followed by several petitions related to human sexuality.
- The afternoon session will begin with a conversation on changes in the clergy pension plan.
- Other items which may be considered:
- Constitutional changes on the ability of agencies to make decisions on funding and other items between General Conferences.
- Certified advocates
- Fund budgets
- Bishop retirement
- Balance between lay and clergy
- General agency petitions
Like what you're reading? United Methodist Communications is celebrating 80 years of ministry! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.