FOR PLANNING PURPOSES: January 24, 2007
CONTACT: Janice Laurente, 202-715-1540 or [email protected]
United Methodists Launch
Pioneering Social Network Site
UMC.org houses faith-based social networking site
Washington, D.C. - The redesigned and enhanced Web site for the people of The United Methodist Church and those seeking to learn more about the church --UMC.org -- will be launched Monday, Jan. 29, at 1 p.m. (ET). At the launch event, leaders from United Methodist Communications will unveil the site's new design, demonstrate its innovative features, answer questions and discuss the church's decision to take this "generation next" approach.
More than two years in development, the site includes a number of technological advances, including the first-ever large-scale online, faith-based community and social network developed by a mainline denomination. Similar to MySpace and Facebook, the new social network at UMC.org will provide a venue for people of all beliefs to engage in online faith discussions at their convenience--24 hours a day. UMC.org's online community seeks to foster meaningful global relationships, while offering resources to help users learn about and interact with the church.
Among the site's other features are:
- "Our People" section, where visitors can identify and find ways to use their individual talents, and read inspirational stories of faith.
- "Pray" tab, where visitors can submit a prayer request asking others to remember their needs in their prayers.
- "Serve" section, which helps people connect with local volunteer opportunities.
- MethoPedia, or the United Methodist encyclopedia, offers a subject-specific view of all resources and stories from the denomination.
- An online community where you can establish a profile, create a blog, name others as "friends," and search for volunteer opportunities, worship materials, and a lot more.
WHO: The Rev. Larry Hollon, General Secretary, United Methodist Communications
Matt Carlisle, Director of Web Ministry, United Methodist Communications
WHEN: Monday, January 29, 2007
1 p.m. ET/ 12 p.m. CT/ 10 a.m. PT
NOTE: After clicking the link, select 'Enter as Guest,' type your first & last name followed by the organization/site you represent, and then click 'Enter Room.'
Conference Call-In Number: 1.800.868.1846
Conference Call Passcode: 63761235#