“And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” – Matthew 6:16-18, NRSV
Lenten resources for 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) — May you have a meaningful Ash Wednesday and Lenten season. Below are Lenten resources to help you throughout this season of reflection on Christ’s sacrifice and redemptive love and to help you celebrate Christ’s Resurrection on Easter, April 20 this year.
- “His Resurrection, Our Life,” a collection of lectionary helps, worship resources, meditations, music downloads, videos, bulletin covers and art from the United Methodist Board of Discipleship.
- Lent and Easter devotional resources, videos and articles from United Methodist Communications.
- United Methodist Committee on Relief, the denomination’s humanitarian relief and development agency, offers 40 days of Lenten devotionals that also highlight the March 30 One Great Hour of Sharing offering, which supports UMCOR.
- The Society of St. Andrew, a United Methodist partner that leads feeding ministries, offers the “Create in Me a Clean Heart” Lenten devotions program for churches and individuals.
- Abingdon Press, part of the United Methodist Publishing House, offers several choices for devotional and group study during Lent including:
$250,000 grant to Perkins at SMU
DALLAS (UMNS) — The Lilly Endowment has awarded Perkins School of Theology at United Methodist-related Southern Methodist University a grant of almost $250,000. Perkins was one of 67 theology schools to receive the grant to address financial issues facing future pastors.
Pastors don bulletproof vests for mission
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (UMNS) — A bulletproof vest isn’t the usual attire for a pastor, but a group of clergy, including the Rev. Ray Ake of Colburg United Methodist Church, have donned the uniform for the City Transformation Team. Vindy.com explains how this mission helps police and people in crisis.
Immigration is a matter of the heart
PHOENIX (UMNS) — The Rev. Dottie Escobedo-Frank, along with other United Methodist pastors and faith leaders, led a prayer vigil for families on a hunger strike outside the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement offices Feb. 27. She writes about the heartbreak suffered by families separated by deportations.
Clarification: Giving keeps pace with denomination’s budget
Africa University in Mutare, Zimbabwe, draws students from across Africa. An earlier version of this article on giving could have been construed to imply only Zimbabweans attended. One of The United Methodist Church’s seven apportioned funds supports the university.
Like what you're reading? Support the ministry of UM News! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.