Did the coronavirus affect how the conference met? Yes. We scheduled our first hybrid session for those that were uncomfortable/unable meeting in-person.
Officiating bishop: Interim Bishop Deborah Kiesey and Bishop Julius C. Trimble
Guest speakers and memorable points or quotes by speakers:
Main actions enacted by the conference:
- Action Item #101 (p. 18) - Amend Standing Item #24 Fund Balances and Conference Unrestricted Reserves
- Passed 629-62 to remove line 40.
- Action Item #103 (p. 23) - Amend Plan of Organization 2115.75 Plan of Organization change
- Passed 616-72 to add new descriptive language replacing "ethnic" with "Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC)."
- Added that BIPOC, international, Commission on Persons with Disabilities, Youth Council may hold one extra position on a conference agency.
- Action Item #107 (p. 24) - Amend 1015.35 Nominations
- Passed 605-46 to accept new nominations timeline for shortened annual conference session.
Antiracism Team budget request
- The Annual Conference to allow the Conference on Finance and Administration (CFA) to review a $15,000 request from the Antiracism Team to do its work. CFA will find these funds in the 2022 Conference Budget and the budget was later approved by the Annual Conference Session.
- Passed 513-117
(iaumc.org/pcm for references)
Resolutions or action related to the coronavirus:
Resolutions or actions related to the postponed 2020 General Conference, now set for 2024:
- #702 More Gracious Process for Disaffiliation (p. 54)
- Bishop Julius C. Trimble ruled Resolution #702 out of order because it invites conversation on portions of the Book of Discipline that have already been ruled upon by the Judicial Council.
- A motion to appeal the decision of the chair failed 500-218.
- #703 Conference Leadership and Disaffiliation (p. 55)
- Ruled out of order for the same reason as #702.
Did any churches disaffiliate or leave the conference? Yes, one church due to disaffiliation, one Wesley Foundation at Drake University
Number of churches that closed because no longer sustainable (please indicate whether financial issues related to the coronavirus was a cause):
Any special annual conference set? Yes, Fall 2023
Endorsement of episcopal candidate: No
Other resolutions adopted by the conference:
- #701 Opposition to Unjust Theology (p. 53)
- Passed 367-314
- #704 Gun Violence Resolution
- Passed 439-234
- Resolution asks Iowa United Methodists to "oppose and vote to defeat the 'Iowa Right to Keep and Bear Arms Amendment.'
- Resolution also calls upon the Episcopal Office to "send General Conference resolution 3428 to Governor Kim Reynolds, Senator Chuck Grassley, Senator Joni Ernst, Congressman Randy Feenstra, Congresswoman Ashley Hinson, Congresswoman Mariannette Miller-Meeks, and Congresswoman Cindy Axne."
Names of delegates for General Conference and designation of lay or clergy:
Clergy: Lanette Plambeck, Katie Dawson (chair), LaTonya Calderon, Chad Jennings, Nate Nims, Alejandro Alfaro Santiz
Lay: Lindsay Drake, Erica Shannon Stueve, Angela Hansen-Abbas, Nitza Dovenspike, Catherine Rohret, Alex Johnson
Has this changed since elections of delegates to the 2020 General Conference? Yes
Number of people ordained (5), commissioned (1) or received into associate membership (0), and average age: unknown
Number of clergy retired: 31
Membership stands at 136,212, down 3% from the previous year.
Online Worship attendance stands at 47,553, down 12%.
Average In-person worship attendance stands at 27,951, down 23%.
Average Church school attendance stands at 9,079, down 11%.
Professions or reaffirmations of faith through confirmation for 2021: 652, down 19% from 2020.
Professions or reaffirmations of faith other than confirmation for 2021: 279, up 38% from 2020.
Membership restored by affirmation of faith for 2021: 34, up 78% from 2020.
Adults and young adults in small groups for 2021: 1,560 down 3% from 2020.
Worshippers engaged in mission for 2021 19,39 down 4% from 2020.
Courtney Levin, communications officer, Iowa Conference
Like what you're reading? Support the ministry of UM News! Your support ensures the latest denominational news, dynamic stories and informative articles will continue to connect our global community. Make a tax-deductible donation at ResourceUMC.org/GiveUMCom.