- Every story must have at least two editors.
- The first editor should edit the story and save any changes.
- The backreader should read the edited version, make changes in the Word document and place it in a folder for the web builder, who can act as a third check in the editing process.
- Editors should raise questions with reporters as well as our in-house Ask The UMC team to verify factual information about the church.
- The story or piece of content will not be posted until all questions have been resolved. UM News errs on the side of “when in doubt, leave it out” if the story contains questionable points.
- The team must always check Bible verses with the Bible and references to the Book of Discipline, the denomination’s policy book.
- At least one person needs to proof photo captions beyond the person who wrote them. Once the captions have been edited, if there are any major errors that were caught, make sure the person who prepped the photos has the final caption so they can embed it into the jpeg file.
- UM News follows AP Style and the United Methodist Communications Style and Reference Guide.
View additional information and our policies below::